Yaz And Yasmin Attorneys
Representing Clients Nationwide
Yasmin (generically called Ocella) and Yaz are two popular birth control pills released on the market by Bayer Pharmaceuticals. The prescription birth control medication is a combination hormone-birth control pill containing estrogen and the potentially dangerous progestin (drospirenone) hormones. The drugs prevent pregnancy by preventing ovulation, by changing the woman’s uterine lining (making it more difficult for a fertilized egg to attach itself), and through the thickening of cervical mucus, making it more difficult for sperm to enter the uterus. Studies have shown Yaz to be 99 percent effective as a means of birth control.
In spite of the popularity of this form of oral contraception amongst prescribing doctors and its widespread use, there have been complaints from consumers nationwide about several serious side effects linked to Yaz and Yasmin. These Yaz side effects include conditions as serious as heart attacks, strokes and blood clots, which in some cases have been life-threatening, or have left patients with lifelong health problems.
The danger in using Yaz stems from its use of the chemical drospirenone (DRSP). Yaz is one of the few birth control pills to use this substance, and recent studies have indicated that drospirenone or progestin raises the potassium level in the body. Unfortunately, such a rise in potassium levels can make it extremely dangerous for those who already have health complications, such as high blood pressure, obesity or diabetes. Even more alarming is that some of the more severe Yaz side effects have affected women that don’t even have health complications and appear to be in perfect health.
Yaz And Yasmin Side Effects
Some of the severe Yaz side effects include but are not limited to:
- Heart attacks: Blood clots, a Yaz side effect, could lead to a heart attack.
- Stroke: One of the adverse effects of using Yasmin/Yaz is the disruption of blood flow to the brain. The end result can be a loss of brain function resulting in brain damage or even a stroke.
- Pulmonary embolism: When the pulmonary artery is blocked due to clotting blood, the effects can be life threatening. Common symptoms include respiratory problems, palpitations of the heart, and chest pain.
- Deep vein thrombosis: Blood clots that occur in areas like the pelvis, legs or arms can be extremely painful and lead to pulmonary embolisms.
- Gallbladder disease: The progestin in Yaz can increase cholesterol levels in bile and decrease gallbladder movement, which can ultimately lead to gallstones. Gallstones can cause serious problems if they become trapped in bile ducts.
- Pancreatitis: This is an inflammation of the pancreas, which can lead to severe complications including bleeding, infection and permanent tissue damage.
- Hyperkalemia: This is a condition caused by higher than normal levels of potassium in the bloodstream. Hyperkalemia may result in cardiac arrest.
Yaz FDA Warning Letter
In September 2009, Bayer Pharmaceuticals was sent a warning letter by the Food and Drug Administration (FDA) regarding control problems at a plant in Germany that manufactures one of the ingredients in the drugs Yaz and Yasmin. According to the FDA warning letter, Bayer used a testing method that averaged the test results rather than reporting the test results for individual batches. The average was within specified parameters, but individual batches were out-of-specification (OOS), and, according to the FDA letter, should not have been released. At least eight batches that were tested with this method were shipped to the U.S.
The circumstances that prompted this FDA Warning Letter are further examples of the types of issues that have plagued the distribution and sale of this drug since its inception. Many lawsuits are being filed across the country alleging that Bayer, the company that manufactures Yasmin and Yaz, has misled consumers by downplaying the seriousness of the drug’s side effects. As a result, women who have taken these birth control pills have suffered from serious illnesses that require extensive medical treatment.
Yaz And Yasmin Side Effect Attorneys
The Los Angeles pharmaceutical litigation attorneys at Panish Shea & Boyle are monitoring the Yaz & Yasmin drug situation and are currently investigating Yaz & Yasmin side effect complaints. If you have suffered injuries from using a defective product, dietary supplement, or prescription drug, Panish Shea & Boyle has the knowledge and experience to help you. Our firm brings extensive product-liability expertise to the table. Our attorneys are consistently recognized for excellence in consumer law, including repeat nominations for Trial Lawyer of the Year from the Consumer Attorneys Association of Los Angeles, Consumer Attorneys Association of California, and Trial Lawyers for Public Justice.
We represent clients throughout the U.S., as well as globally, and are available 24 hours a day, 7 days a week. Call Panish Shea & Boyle today at 877-800-1700.
Copyright © Panish Shea & Boyle – Yaz & Yasmin Side Effect Lawyers
California Yaz Injury Attorney Disclaimer: The Yaz & Yasmin side effects, defective drug recall, pharmaceutical litigation or other unsafe and recalled drug legal information presented at this site should not be considered formal legal advice, nor the formation of a lawyer or attorney client relationship. Prior results do not guarantee or predict a similar outcome with respect to any future matter. Please note that you are not considered a client until you have signed a retainer agreement and your case has been accepted by us.