Riverside Bicycle Accident Attorney
Bicycle accidents arise most often out of driver negligence. Aggressive drivers in California often don’t leave enough space for bicyclists to safely maneuver, nor do they respect bicyclists’ rights. If you were recently in a bicycle accident in Riverside, the at-fault driver may be responsible for reimbursing your damages, including medical bills and lost income. A consultation with a Riverside bike accident lawyer from Panish Shea & Boyle, LLP can help you understand your rights and take action in pursuit of fair recovery.
Safety Tips for Bicyclists in California
The City of Riverside recorded 93 bicyclist injuries and deaths in 2015 (the most recent year data is available). Five of these victims were under the age of 15. In an effort to lower the alarming rate of bicycle accidents each year, city officials have implemented prevention methods such as the “Bicycle Master Plan,” which aims to improve the city’s bike paths and spread awareness. The Riverside police recommend the following tips for staying safe and within the law while riding your bike in the area:
- Wear a helmet. Although riders over the age of 18 don’t legally have to wear helmets, they should minimize their risks of serious head, face, and brain injuries in the event of a collision.
- Obey the rules of the road. Always ride in a bicycle lane if one is available. Otherwise, obey all roadway rules and stay as far to the right-hand side of the road as possible. You must obey traffic lights and signs on a bicycle just as if you were driving a car.
- Ride with traffic. It’s a common misconception that bicyclists are safer riding against traffic. In fact, this is a maneuver that’s against the law and dangerous. Bicyclists who don’t ride with the traffic increase their risk of collisions.
- Stay visible. One of the most common reasons for bicycle collisions is lack of visibility – the driver simply didn’t see the bicyclist. While this is largely due to driver distraction, you can help stay safe as a bicyclist by wearing brightly-colored clothing. Keep your actions safe and predictable to stay visible.
- Take care of your bike. Your bicycle must have all the proper equipment, such as a red rear reflector and a white light in front, to ride in Riverside. Properly maintain your bicycle to prevent equipment breakdowns and related accidents.
Unfortunately, you can only do so much to prevent a bicycle accident as a rider. Your safety is largely in the hands of the drivers around you. These drivers are most likely texting, speeding, drunk driving, driving drowsy, or engaged in other dangerous acts that could put your life at risk. If drivers are negligent or aren’t paying attention to the road, it could end in disaster for you or a loved one. Protect your rights after a bicycle accident in Riverside by contacting the Riverside accident lawyer team at Panish Shea & Boyle LLP as soon as possible.
How Panish Shea & Boyle, LLP Can Help Your Bike Accident Case
Bicycle accidents often cause serious injuries to riders, including broken bones, lacerations, road rash, traumatic brain injuries, and crush injuries. If you suffered injuries of any kind in a Riverside bicycle accident, discuss your rights with a lawyer. We can negotiate higher settlements with insurers or even take your case to court if necessary for full compensation.
A lawyer in your corner during insurance claim negotiations can ensure the company doesn’t take advantage of you or convince you to settle for too little. Insurance companies are more likely to offer fair settlements when they know the claimant has the power to take the case to court. Panish Shea & Boyle LLP operates on a contingency-fee basis, meaning you won’t pay anything unless we win your case. Initial consultations with our bike accident lawyers are always free. Schedule yours online today or call (310) 928-6200.