Riverside Bicycle Accident AttorneyRequest Free Consultation
Bicycle accidents arise most often out of negligent drivers. Aggressive drivers in California often don’t leave enough space for bicyclists to safely maneuver, nor do they respect bicyclists’ rights. If you were recently in a bicycle accident in Riverside, the at-fault driver may be responsible for reimbursing your damages, including medical bills and lost income. A consultation with a Riverside bike accident lawyer from Panish | Shea | Boyle | Ravipudi LLP can help you understand your rights and take action in pursuit of fair recovery.
Contact our lawyers today at (951) 363-2410 to book your free consultation!
Safety Tips for Bicyclists in California
The City of Riverside recorded 93 bicyclist injuries and deaths in 2015 (the most recent year data is available). Five of these victims were under the age of 15. In an effort to lower the alarming rate of bicycle accidents each year, city officials have implemented prevention methods such as the “Bicycle Master Plan,” which aims to improve the city’s bike paths and spread awareness. The Riverside police recommend the following tips for staying safe and within the law while riding your bike in the area:
- Wear a helmet. Although riders over the age of 18 don’t legally have to wear helmets, they should minimize their risks of serious head, face, and brain injuries in the event of a collision.
- Obey the rules of the road. Always ride in a bicycle lane if one is available. Otherwise, obey all roadway rules and stay as far to the right-hand side of the road as possible. You must obey traffic lights and signs when riding a bicycle just as if you were driving a car.
- Ride with traffic. It’s a common misconception that bicyclists are safer riding against traffic. In fact, this is a maneuver that’s against the law and dangerous. Bicyclists who don’t ride with the traffic increase their risk of collisions.
- Stay visible. One of the most common reasons for bike accidents is lack of visibility – the driver simply didn’t see the bicyclist. While this is largely due to driver distraction, you can help stay safe as a bicyclist by wearing brightly-colored clothing. Keep your actions safe and predictable to stay visible.
- Take care of your bike. Your bicycle must have all the proper equipment, such as a red rear reflector and a white light in front, to ride in Riverside. Properly maintain your bicycle to prevent equipment breakdowns and related accidents.
Unfortunately, you can only do so much to prevent a bicycle accident as a rider. Your safety is largely in the hands of the drivers around you. These drivers are most likely texting, speeding, drunk driving, driving drowsy, or engaged in other dangerous acts that could put your life at risk. If drivers are negligent or aren’t paying attention to the road, it could end in disaster for you or a loved one. Protect your rights after a bicycle accident in Riverside by contacting the Riverside personal injury lawyer team at Panish | Shea | Boyle | Ravipudi LLP as soon as possible.
What to do if someone hits you on your bicycle?
The actions you take after a bicycle crash can impact the outcome of your injury claim. If a car hits you on your bicycle the first step to take is to call 911 for medical attention and the police. Seek medical care immediately after the accident, even if you don’t feel pain, and ask the police to write a police report. Gather contact information from the at fault party and any eye witnesses. If possible, take pictures of the scene of the accident and damages to the car and bicycle. Seek legal advice from a Riverside bicycle accident lawyer to increase your chances of recovering maximum compensation.
Common Causes of Bicycle Crashes in Riverside
According to the NHTSA, 857 bicyclists were killed in traffic accidents in the U.S. in 2018. One of the common causes of these fatal accidents are negligent and distracted drivers hitting bicycle riders. Other causes include:
- Negligent drivers
- Poor road conditions
- Distracted bicyclists
- Bicyclist was not visible to the driver
- Defective bicycle part or accessory
- Extreme weather conditions
How Panish | Shea | Boyle | Ravipudi LLP Can Help Your Bike Accident Case
Bicycle accidents often cause catastrophic injuries to riders, including broken bones, lacerations, road rash, traumatic brain injuries, crush and spinal cord injuries. If you suffered injuries of any kind in a Riverside bicycle accident, discuss your legal rights with a personal injury lawyer. We can negotiate higher settlements with insurers or even take your case to court if necessary for full compensation.
A lawyer in your corner during insurance claim negotiations can ensure the company doesn’t take advantage of you or convince you to settle for too little. Insurance companies are more likely to offer fair settlements when they know the claimant has the power to take the case to court. Panish | Shea | Boyle | Ravipudi LLP operates on a contingency-fee basis, meaning you won’t pay anything unless we win your case. Initial consultations with our bike accident lawyers in Riverside are always free. We represent accident victims in Riverside County and throughout Southern California.
Schedule yours online today or call (951) 363-2410