Los Angeles Brain Injury Lawyers
A brain injury is a catastrophic injury from which victims literally can never fully recover. Unlike most body tissues, the brain can’t regenerate its cells. Once cells are damaged or connections between them are broken, the functions they perform are simply lost unless the brain can learn to perform them in new ways. Victims may have permanent problems with their movement, senses, emotions or cognitive abilities, or even changes in personality. If a person’s or business entity’s negligence caused your accident resulting in a brain injury, our Los Angeles brain injury lawyers can help you with your injury claim.
The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention estimates that 1.4 million Americans sustain some kind of traumatic brain injury every year, with about 235,000 requiring hospitalization and 50,000 more dying. Falls and car accidents are the most common causes of brain injuries, but these injuries can be caused by any blow to the head, including sports injuries and gunshot wounds. Thousands more sustain non-traumatic brain injuries because of disease, stroke or oxygen deprivation, sometimes due to medical malpractice. About 5.3 million people in the United States — two percent of our population — need permanent, daily help with everyday tasks because of a brain injury.
Types of Accidents Most Likely To Cause a Serious Head or Brain Injury
- Motor vehicle accidents
- Falling from three or more feet off the ground
- Falling down five or more stairs
- Falling off a bicycle without a helmet
Typical Symptoms of a Serious Brain Injury
- Loss of consciousness
- Tingling on one side of the body
- Dizziness or lose of balance
- Loss of vision or hearing
- A headache that gets worse
- Extreme sleepiness or irritability
For those patients and their loved ones, a brain injury literally changes everything about their lives. Victims who lose important physical or mental abilities may need to abandon or radically change future plans; give up some part of their independence, or they may simply be cut off from simple pleasures. In addition to being devastating, this can also be very expensive. Victims may need multiple surgeries, ongoing therapy or even round-the-clock care. Families victimized by a sudden accident or a violent crime may not have the financial resources to provide these things for their loved ones. If you face this burden because of someone else’s careless or illegal behavior, you may need a Los Angeles brain injury attorney as you have the right to hold that person responsible in a court of law.
Cognitive Problems Associated With Traumatic Brain Injury
- Problems with processing and understanding information
- Attention and concentration issues
- Language and communication problems
- Inappropriate and embarrassing impulse behavior
Why Choose Our Law Firm?
Panish Shea & Boyle has extensive experience with the complicated and lengthy lawsuits that often spring up after a brain injury. Our Los Angeles brain injury lawyers have landed record verdicts in complex, national litigation over medical and scientific issues, including two record verdicts involving defective automotive parts that left clients permanently disabled. Our brain injury and medical successes include a $15 million verdict for a teen who suffered permanent cognitive problems, trouble with emotional control and other disabilities in a truck accident.
Panish Shea & Boyle personal injury attorneys have been repeatedly recognized for excellence by other consumer and trial attorneys. Honors to our partners include recognition as Most Influential Attorneys, Best Lawyers in America and nominations and an award for Trial Lawyer of the Year. All of our partners write and speak regularly to other attorneys and are active in professional organizations. Our brain injury attorneys represent clients in Los Angeles, Orange County, San Bernardino, and across Southern California.
Brain Injury Verdicts & Settlements
- Nelsen v. Hillyard, Inc., et al. $21,067,093 Largest personal injury verdict in San Bernardino County history – Accomplished by the San Bernardino personal injury attorneys.
- Tilton v. Southern California Gas Co. (Sempra Energy) $15,000,000
- Doe v. Express Delivery Com. $9,600,000Settlement of $9.6 million for injuries sustained when a delivery truck’s tow dolly, weighing approximately 1,000 pounds, became detached while traveling on the highway, flew through the air, and landed directly in front of the plaintiffs’ vehicle, causing a violent collision. Injuries included a mild to moderate traumatic brain injury, post-concussive syndrome, and an aortic tear.
- Sims v. Mountain Area Rapid Transit Authority (MARTA) $7,000,000Settlement of $7 million for severe traumatic brain injury sustained by plaintiff who was struck by a bus while crossing a street in Big Bear and struck her head on the pavement when she fell to the ground.
- Doe v. Cruise Ship $5,600,000Settlement of $5.6 million for severe traumatic brain injury sustained by a 13-year old boy who fell through an opening when a glass panel became detached from a stairway system on a cruise ship, and landed several decks below.
- Janovici v. Metropolitan Transportation Authority (MTA) $5,000,000
- Wilbur v. Does $3,500,000
- Pesso v. Meyers $2,600,000
- Davin v. Skyline Limousine Service $1,300,000
- Williams v. S.C.E. $1,200,000