Bakersfield Wrongful Death AttorneyRequest Free Consultation
Nobody should ever lose their life because of the careless, negligent, or intentional actions of another individual or entity. Unfortunately, wrongful death claims arise regularly in and around the Bakersfield, California area.
At Panish Shea & Boyle LLP, our team is here to help if you need a Bakersfield wrongful death attorney by your side. We have extensive experience handling these cases, and we have the resources necessary to help ensure that you and your family receive the compensation and closure that you need during this emotionally and financially challenging time.
Why Choose Panish Shea & Boyle LLP for a Wrongful Death Claim?
- At Panish Shea & Boyle LLP, we completely commit to you and your family when we handle your case. We will take the steps necessary to investigate the incident and secure the compensation you deserve.
- We limit the number of cases that we handle because we want to make sure that we can focus our attention on your case and ensure that you are properly cared for.
- We strive to provide a client-focused approach to every case, which means that we will take the time to listen to your goals and needs during this difficult time.
How an Attorney Will Help With a Wrongful Death Claim in Bakersfield
Families who have experienced the tragic loss of a loved one need an attorney who can handle every aspect of these claims on their behalf. Most families do not have the resources or legal expertise necessary to take these claims throughout the entire process.
Wrongful death claims in Bakersfield are complex. It is crucial for an attorney to fully investigate these cases in order to determine exactly what happened so that they can hold the at-fault party accountable for their actions. Evidence showing liability will have to be uncovered, and an attorney will need to work with trusted economic and financial experts to properly calculate a family’s total expected losses.
California’s Wrongful Death Law
When we examine California’s wrongful death law (California Code of Civil Procedure § 377.60), we can see that these cases arise when a person loses their life due to the “wrongful act or neglect of another…”
At Panish Shea & Boyle LLP, we understand that wrongful death claims can arise in various ways throughout this state. Some of the most common causes of wrongful death claims in Bakersfield that we help clients with include the following:
- Car accident
- Large truck accidents
- Airplane or helicopter accidents
- Bus accidents
- Bicycle or pedestrian accidents
- Workplace accidents
- Faulty product incidents
- Premises liability claims
This is not an all-inclusive list of the types of wrongful death claims that we handle on behalf of family members and the estates. If you have lost a loved one due to the careless, negligent, or intentional actions of someone else, please reach out to our attorneys so we can determine the best steps moving forward for your case.
Who Can File a Wrongful Death Claim in California?
The wrongful death law in California is fairly specific about who can file these claims in civil court. This includes the following:
- The spouse or domestic partner of the deceased
- Surviving children of the deceased
- Grandchildren of the deceased, if the grandchild’s parent is also deceased
If there are no surviving people in the deceased’s line of descent, the wrongful death claim is allowed to be filed by any person “who would be entitled to the property of the decedent by intestate succession.” This often includes a deceased person’s parents, siblings, or any other person who was dependent upon the deceased at the time of their death.
Types of Compensation Available in These Claims
There may be various types of compensation available to family members who have lost a loved one due to the actions of others. Even though no amount of money can take away the feeling of loss, this compensation can help alleviate the financial difficulties that families often experience in these situations.
Some of the damages that could be recovered in a successful wrongful death claim in California include the following:
- The financial support that the deceased would have provided had they lived, including future lost earnings
- Funeral, burial, and cremation expenses
- Any inheritances, gifts, or other benefits the heirs of the deceased would have received
- Household services the deceased would have provided, including child care, cleaning, cooking, etc.
Additionally, surviving family members may be able to recover various types of non-economic losses in these cases. These are the types of losses that cannot be easily calculated or quantified and include:
- The loss of the deceased’s emotional support, affection, comfort, companionship, etc.
- The loss of training and guidance (particularly when the victim was a spouse, parent, or other adult)
- The loss of intimate relations when the victim was a spouse or domestic partner
Time Limit to File a Bakersfield Wrongful Death Case
It is crucial for family members to understand that they have a limited amount of time to file these claims in court. The wrongful death statute of limitations in California is two years from the date of death. If family members fail to file a lawsuit against the alleged negligent party within this two-year timeframe, they will not be able to recover the compensation they are entitled to.
Contact a Bakersfield Wrongful Death Attorney Today
If you have lost somebody that you love due to the negligent or wrongful actions of another individual or entity, you need to speak to a skilled attorney at Panish Shea & Boyle LLP for help as soon as possible. We understand that you are grieving right now, and we want to help ensure that you gain some closure. Even though no amount of compensation will erase the pain of losing a loved one, it can help ease the financial burden often left behind after these incidents occur. When you need a Bakersfield wrongful death attorney, you can contact us for a free consultation by clicking here to fill out our contact form or calling us at (310) 477-1700.