If you live in a part of the state where cold weather is common at this time of the year, then you always have to be cognizant of the danger of carbon monoxide poisoning. While certainly a possibility in all types of weather, the threat is exacerbated when heating your home. A new report offers some insights into carbon monoxide dangers and how to avoid them from the Health Department of Madison County, New York, and you should keep these in mind over the coming months.
First, the department advises conducting what basically amounts to a questionnaire designed to figure out if carbon monoxide could be threatening your family at this very moment. Your first cue should be if someone begins to complain of headache, nausea, respiratory issues, or lightheadedness. When these are identified, figure out if others are experiencing the same and if the illness goes away upon leaving the home.
If you’re using fuel-burning appliances at the time, you may have just found your culprit. Once you’ve established that a carbon monoxide leak has occurred, you’ll want to escape the home at once, placing a call to your local fire department once you’re out. Get medical assistance from a hospital at once.
Of course, you’re better off if you never have to deal with the leak in the first place, so make sure to set up yearly checks on your home and to have alarms that can go off if a leak is detected.