Carbon Monoxide Danger Highlighted By FEMA, USFA, and CPSC

Posted on October 31, 2012

There have been no shortage of safety tips on the heels of Hurricane Sandy displacing people from their homes and cutting the power to millions.  But it’s hard to ignore those tips when they’re coming from such authoritative entities as the Federal Emergency Management Agency, the United States Fire Administration, and the Consumer Product Safety Commission.  These agencies have partnered to make sure consumers don’t make a deadly mistake in the wake of a storm.

One of the biggest threats presented in the wake of a storm like Sandy is the risk of carbon monoxide poisoning.  Oftentimes, people who have had their power knocked out will utilize a camp stove, charcoal grill, or portable generator, but they fail to take the proper precautions with such items.  If kept inside the home instead of outside, the risk of CO poisoning is exacerbated greatly.

To prevent the threat, take such items outside, and install CO alarms throughout your residence.  You should also swap out the batteries on these alarms every single year.  And when it comes to candles, keep them away from any flammable materials and never leave them to burn alone.  You might consider just opting for flashlights to prevent a danger altogether.

Finally, on the heels of a storm, be especially attuned to odd smells and hissing noises that could signify a gas leak.

These tips are geared toward those on the East Coast now, but they could come in handy to anyone who faces down a disaster.

How Can We Help You?

If you have a legal matter you would like to discuss with an attorney from our firm, please call us at (310) 477-1700 or complete and submit the e-mail form below, and we will get back to you.

  • This field is for validation purposes and should be left unchanged.
  • This field is for validation purposes and should be left unchanged.

*Required Fields